Miss Tasty's Cafe

I chop, I dice, I mix until moistened, I whip to soft peaks, I boil, broil, bake and braise, simmer over medium heat, chill over night ... And of course, there's eating. Tasting, nibbling, chomping, savouring ... I'm a licking-the-bowl-clean, sopping-up-the-sauce, juice-running-down-my-fingers food enthusiast ... Yep. I love food.

Monday, April 24, 2006

sweet potato salad & pork loin (& placentas)

Visited the in-laws this weekend. They made a gorgeous slow-cooked pork loin, served with a simple green salad and some delicious sweet potato salad from New Seasons. It's just like regular potato salad, with the creamy dressing and so forth, but with sweet potatoes - not only was it delightful in its surprising sweet earthiness, but the orange-ness of it made my plate a very nice study in color balance.

I think Miss Fetus liked it, as well. And speaking of that, I have realized that placentas are pretty miraculous things. I mean, when else do adult human beings ever grow a whole new, essential organ, keep it functioning for nine months, and then get rid of it? But I still can't deal with the idea that some people eat their placenta. That just freaks me out. I bet my friend Hungry T, who is all into eating exotic meats and wants to try horse someday, wouldn't even do it. (And I won't be offering. No way.) There are probably placenta recipes on the internet somewhere, but I refuse to look. What, with onions or something, like liver? Made into a pate? Ground and mashed into burgers? Puh-leese.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hungry T said...

You are right. That may even be too much for me. There is a name for this 'trend,' Placentophagy. I did track down this page, called Placenta Etiquette...

http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/placenta.htm

And yes, there are recipes, including the classics "Placenta Cocktail" and "Roast Placenta," among others. Outrageous!

And you know, another T (Tom Cruise, that is) is claiming that he will eat Katie's placenta, right there in the operating room. Just google "Tom Cruise Eats Placenta."

24/4/06 6:33 PM  
Blogger Hungry T said...

One more brief comment, my ADC just told me that, if she were to eat her placenta, she'd invite all her friends over, and make placenta polenta.

24/4/06 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home