Miss Tasty's Cafe

I chop, I dice, I mix until moistened, I whip to soft peaks, I boil, broil, bake and braise, simmer over medium heat, chill over night ... And of course, there's eating. Tasting, nibbling, chomping, savouring ... I'm a licking-the-bowl-clean, sopping-up-the-sauce, juice-running-down-my-fingers food enthusiast ... Yep. I love food.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pok Pok rocks my world

I am so, so lucky to live in SE PDX, a couple blocks from Division. It feels like a quiet neighborhood, yet I can walk to everything I need - grocery stores, hardware stores, libraries, banks, a dry cleaner, Stumptown coffee, taco stands, sandwich shops, hot spot restaurants, thrift stores, an extinct volcano - hell, even a cement sculpture yard, in case I need a bird bath or a Virgin Mary at a moment's notice. Last night, I took an easy evening stroll down to Pok Pok. Perfect, delightful Pok Pok.

It was my third visit, and I already have my favorite menu item - the shredded pork over sticky coconut rice with a green papaya salad. Pork edges crisped just so, the rest meltingly tender, the smoky, salty richness, a scattering of caramelized curls of shallot that add a subtle, tiny crunch to every third bite, the soft sweetness of coconut milk against the toothy rice. Oh my.

They had a ramen special - those familiar slippery noodles in a beautiful, clean, clear broth, spiked with chili oil and scallions, made substantial with perfect bits of chopped rotisserie game hen. Three dollars, people! The list goes on. Plus, the owner is cute, and his concept is brilliant - buy a house property on a bustling, renewed street, convert the garage space to a small kitchen and walk up window, then as the success rolls in, remodel the house. I think he lives there - I think he might open it as an indoor dining space eventually. Whatever - it's genius.

You'll get a perfectly sized portion, for under $7, and the chance to sit at an outdoor table watching the neighbors go by. Why aren't you over there right now? Go!

**This stuff isn't your usual Thai food, with the saucy noodles and such - it's north and northeast Thai food, seems lighter with more grilled meats - see my friend Hungry T's blog entry for more detail.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hungry T said...

On your urging, I headed down to Pok Pok on Thursday. Fantastic as always! Thanks for the suggestion...

12/5/06 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home