Miss Tasty's Cafe

I chop, I dice, I mix until moistened, I whip to soft peaks, I boil, broil, bake and braise, simmer over medium heat, chill over night ... And of course, there's eating. Tasting, nibbling, chomping, savouring ... I'm a licking-the-bowl-clean, sopping-up-the-sauce, juice-running-down-my-fingers food enthusiast ... Yep. I love food.

Monday, November 07, 2005

The Planning Begins - Thanksgiving Looms ...

We're going to host a casual-format Thanksgiving dinner at the new house. Everyone has been forewarned that they'll be surrounded by boxes, the plates will be paper, and they have to bring a dish.

Brine: I am a huge fan of brining the bird. So we'll do that. I may follow a Chow magazine recipe for cooking it two ways - brined breast, confit legs. Seems easy enough and very likely to have tender results.

We'll do the potatoes. (Mashed, for god's sake. Please don't whip the potatoes. Save it for the bedroom.) Of course, we'll provide the beverages. I need to consult with Hungry Thom on a nice sparkling option.

If anyone out there has other good tips for cooking a turkey, fill me in.

So far, the guests have offered green beans, scalloped corn, yeast rolls, various pies. I'm hoping my brother will do a big batch of his famous sugo. Man, it's so good. He's even done it with fresh tomatoes from the garden. Incredible talent on that kid. We'll roll gnocchi by hand and it will be like the old days - big Italian family, wherein the lasagna sat right next to the spiral cut ham.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home