Miss Tasty's Cafe

I chop, I dice, I mix until moistened, I whip to soft peaks, I boil, broil, bake and braise, simmer over medium heat, chill over night ... And of course, there's eating. Tasting, nibbling, chomping, savouring ... I'm a licking-the-bowl-clean, sopping-up-the-sauce, juice-running-down-my-fingers food enthusiast ... Yep. I love food.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Pumpkin Pie-Chocolate Ice Cream Discovery

Birthday parties often lead to interesting discoveries.

I was out late last night for Miss K's 30th bday bash. Salvador Molly's ("pirate cookin'") for dinner and foo foo drinks. I had the Amazombie, which had lots of everything in it, and was bright blue. It hit the spot. Then to East, a new hot spot in Old Town. I managed to spend way too much money buying drinks for other people. The four shots of Don Julio for me and the ladies was a climactic moment for my debit card.

Anyway - today was the continuation of said birthday party, only the family-friendly version. Miss K & the lil bro hosted at their place. Little cutie kids running around, lots of good polite conversation. Miss K's favorite dessert is pumpkin pie with chocolate ice cream. I had never had the pleasure of this flavor meld. Chocolate is so complex, and pairs well in surprising ways. Even in Dreyer's ice cream, you can detect that hint of natural cacao bitterness, and it played so nicely with the cinnamon nutmeg goodness of pureed gourd.

I think I'll make a pumpkin cheesecake one day, and add a layer of dark chocolate ganache.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home