Miss Tasty's Cafe

I chop, I dice, I mix until moistened, I whip to soft peaks, I boil, broil, bake and braise, simmer over medium heat, chill over night ... And of course, there's eating. Tasting, nibbling, chomping, savouring ... I'm a licking-the-bowl-clean, sopping-up-the-sauce, juice-running-down-my-fingers food enthusiast ... Yep. I love food.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

How Dare You Mash My Baked Potato

Decided a rainy, cold, Portland night was right for baked potatoes. Got some really massive russets at New Seasons, brought 'em home, and while they baked I browned a finely sliced leek in olive oil. I love the rich, pungent flavor of caramelized onion-type things. It's like savory candy. Steamed some broccoli as a nod toward vitamin content, got out some good, sweet butter. Shaved some manchego (4-year ... the 14 year is just too spendy to melt on anything).

So when the honey got home from work, and proceeded to peel, cube, add warm milk to and mash his baked potato, I was miffed. We had a ... conversation, shall we say ... about whether or not mashed and baked were the same dish, or if he had just redefined my dinner menu. I went to all that effort, see? I wouldn't take a rolling pin to has Sunday morning pancakes just because I like crepes ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Hungry T said...

Well... I'm not the biggest potato eater in the world, but baked and mashed are different (sorry Smooth Melon). On the other hand, how different is adding sour cream to a baked potato and mushing it around a little in the skin than adding a little milk and mushing without the skin?

3/11/05 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home